Pictures of Moosen - my adventures at the Tower Rock Lodge in Soldotna

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Yeah, I guess I'll go fishing. I could use the sleep.

One benefit (among many) that the Tower Rock Lodge could claim was its proximity to the Kenai (pronounced “keen-eye” or “home to only one fish”) River. We fished the stank out of that river all morning and came away with nothing but a decent nap. Later that afternoon, we went back in and tried a different technique, which worked for dad in about two minutes, but came up flat for the rest of us.

Wednesday morning, we were excited to sleep in until 5:15am.



Late night + early morning + rocking boat + sport where you sit still unless you need to sip your coffee or eat a skor bar =


This was about as exciting as our morning got (I was happy to have the winter cap, though). But, hell, even if I knew I wasn’t going to catch a damn thing all week, I’d still have gone and enjoyed every minute of it.


Dad finally caught one sometime after lunch. He fought with it for a good five minutes before that suckah gave up and accepted its fate as our future grilled meal. Just to keep everyone honest, the Fish and Game municipality says that if you catch any salmon between 44 and 55 inches, you have to throw it back. This one was literally 43 ¾ inches, so it was a keeper.


That night, we celebrated our sorrows with a couple of rounds of poker. Around 11pm, a moose walked right in front of our cabin, and logic dictated that we run out to say hello. Here’s a rather unsuccessful attempt to take a pic of myself and said moose.


And here’s a pic john took of me, trying unsuccessfully to take a pic of myself and said moose. I didn’t win at poker that night either.



Thursday was a bit more exciting! Click here to read about it…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home